Friday, March 19, 2010

Rice Fun

Well, I can't take credit for this at all as I got my idea from my cousin's blog http://hersheykissed.blogspot.com/2010/03/preparations-for-rainy-day.html She had done this with her girls and it was a huge hit, so I thought it looked pretty easy so I thought I'd attempt it. Anytime I mention doing any type of craft with the girls, they both get SO excited! But they had tons of fun making the rice and even watching it dry! Once it was dry and I was ready to let them play (I have to have the floor completely picked up so that it's easier to clean up afterwards)....they dove right in and couldn't stop playing!! They ask me to play with rice almost everyday! You would think that I would make it easier on myself and let them play outside and let the birds/animals pick up the mess, but our dog likes to eat the rice too, so I had to nix that idea! So that means I get an extra clean carpet each time they play with the rice, which is almost everyday...but that's good for me too because I know some of you might think I'm crazy, but it's very therapeutic for me to vacuum and I love nothing more than a freshly vacuumed floor...especially with a dog in the house! So here's some pictures of the rice drying after we dyed it (by the way, you can find all the directions on my cousin's blog above). Here's some pics of the girls enjoying watching the rice dry as well as playing with the rice! It really is one of their favorite things to do now! It even replaces chalk with a water paintbrush outside...which they love to do too! Thanks for the idea Sarah!!

2 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

It gets SOOOO messy, huh?!? Sorry about that ;). lol. But totally worth it b/c they love it so much!

Katie Reall said...

Going to try this tomorrow or the next day if I can! :) Ellie is going to love it, but I wish that Emme were big enough to do it with her. :) btw - do you have a shorter cut right now - do you have any good curly pics of it to send to me? Wondering about doing it....