Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Grandma Edna

For those of you who know people in my family have probably already heard or read about this, but I haven't gotten a chance to blog about it yet. About almost a month ago now my Grandma Edna passed away, rather unexpectedly of a heart attack. It was a bitter sweet passing for me. For one I was super glad that we got to see her in September only 3 weeks before she passed on our way down to New Orleans. I was so glad for this visit as I now have the assurance that hopefully for sure Kayley will and hopefully Cora will have some remembrance of her. However as I was gathering all the pictures I have of Grandma (at least digital ones) I noticed that I regretfully don't have any pictures of Cora with Grandma or Grandpa for that matter! I was going to take a picture of them with Grandma in September when we were visiting her then, but I didn't think about it until right before we left and Grandma had been in the middle of taking a nap. We had to wake her up to say good-bye...I didn't want to shove a camera in her face as she just woke up! But, Cora does have her own special connection with Grandma with her name. We had originally decided on Cora's name based on the fact that it was Greek (Nick is part Greek) and then as we decided on it, Grandma informed us that she had an aunt named Cora...so it's a family name after all!

With Grandma's passing I've had many great memories come to mind as well as happy thoughts. I remember at Grandpa's funeral, the saddest part for me was to watch Grandma say good-bye to Grandpa at his casket. I could also hear the saddness in Grandma's voice everytime I talked to her on the phone. When I heard of her passing, my thoughts immediately went to the thought that she is now with Grandpa and the happiness they are sharing together!

But some other fun memories that I have of my Grandma was going over there almost every Sunday after church to play with cousins. Grandma would always make us tuna of some sort with tomato soup (no stranger to me as this is what the Felker's ate every Sunday too!) But Grandma made the best tuna melts, which we never got at home! We would also have cousin sleepovers and Grandma would willingly sleep out on the couch with us so we wouldn't get scared in the living room. It also didn't take much begging from me to have Little Cesar's Pizza at Grandma's house! Yummy!! I remember when I was younger and Grandma would take each grandkid shopping for their birthday. I remember walking the old mall in Sikeston with Grandma on my birthday and enjoying that special time with just her! I also remember going to McDonald's with her every now and then. When we'd go she'd let me get a happy meal if I wanted, but oftentimes I would want to get a chicken salad so I could be like her. After we were done with our meal I remember her often letting me get an apple pie. When I would get to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house by myself I got to sleep in their bed. Grandma would sleep in the middle so she could be by Grandpa and I would sleep on the outside. Grandma would always put a chair next to me so I wouldn't fall off...I would often end up in the chair when I woke up! Grandma also had her special stash of trident gum and candy (chocolate!) She would often let us pick out some gum or some candy. Grandpa would often go to the store to buy us some food while we were there and come back with all the different kinds of foods....some funky type foods too...Grandma would always roll her eyes and always say, "Oh Daddy!" Grandma also loved the Cardinals...I remember her always drinking Diet Coke in her cardinals cup and she didn't like ice in it. She and Grandpa would also let us have our own pop...my favorite was purple crush at their house. Grandma and Grandpa were also some of my biggest fans at my sporting events in high school. They would come to pretty much all of my home games and almost all of my away games. If for whatever reason my mom couldn't make it, I would ride home with them and talk to them about my performance. I hope they knew how much I really appreciated this support from them. Sports were a big part of my high school life and it was difficult at times to not have my Dad there to watch me as sports were his passion. To have the support of them meant so much to me and I hope they know how grateful I am to them for that! One of Grandma's favorite desserts from fast food was the frosty from Wendy's. I remember coming home to visit once and Nick and I went to go get her a frosty...she just loved it so much that we thought of her and brought that back for her! There are other many memories of my Grandma, she was a wonderful Grandma and I will miss her dearly! However I am so glad that she has been able to be a part of many important stages in my life, single and married.

Grandma and Grandpa got to go to my wedding in 2003. They were both their during my sealing. My Grandpa of course was known by his black cowboy hat and his mustache...which Grandma teased him saying she wouldn't kiss him unless he shaved it off. Grandpa would reply, "why do you think I grow it out." They always had a teasing way of showing affection towards each other.

They also got to meet Kayley almost right after she was born. Grandma kept saying she was so beautiful and said she was going to be the next Miss Sikeston! She also kept apologizing for giving Kayley a double crown. I'm glad that Kayley has one as she can say she has a double crown like Grandma Edna.
Grandma and Grandpa also got to come up for Kayley's blessing. Grandpa was able to stand in the circle and that was such a neat experience for me to have both of them there for that great moment in mine and Nick's life...and Kayley's too! :)

We also got to go visit them a couple of times down in Memphis after they moved in with the Hathaways. What a blessing they were to them and our family! They took such great care of them! This was during the time when Grandpa was growing out his hair for locks of love. Another teasing moment for Grandma and Grandpa!

Grandma and Grandpa also came up to Columbia a few times in addition to the blessing weekend. This was just a random visit I believe. I can't remember what they were up here for, but we got to go visit them at their hotel.

Another visit later the following year also in Columbia. Kayley didn't quite know who they were so it was a bit overwhelming for her and Audrey, but we are glad they got to visit with us.

Then, of course this is during the dinner after Grandpa's funeral. I should have thought to get pictures with her then of us, but didn't think about it as there were so many cousins there and so much going on it slipped my mind!

Then these are pictures of Grandma's funeral weekend. We had so much fun getting to catch up with so many cousins we hadn't seen in a while and our kids got to play with their kids! It was tons of fun! These first two groups are of all the kids swimming at the Drury Inn. Almost all of my family were staying there, but even the ones who didn't stay there bombarded the pool and the Drury people probably didn't know what hit them! Check out Nick's attire for getting the girls to swim!! :) Jack, Mary, & Andrew were the only brave ones...well Jack and Mary were the ones in the freezing cold pool water...Andrew enjoyed the nice hot tub water!! :)

More swimming at the pool...

Taking Nick, Kayley, and Cora to Kirby's for the first time! It was good, but a little more expensive than I remember it being...I guess that's just b/c I'm an adult with my own finances now instead of relying on Mom and Dads! We also toured a bit of Downtown Sikeston at the Train Station/Museum. Carrie Yanson had quite a bit of items there on display from Yanson's Jeweler's. It was neat to see that part of Sikeston/history and to show Nick and my girls. We also got to see Carrie's new dog Liberty...who was so cute and sweet! I'm sure she's much bigger now! We also got to see Mrs. Johnson and got a picture of all of us and Mom with her. She was our maid/babysitter when we were younger. She was almost like our third Grandma to us and us to her. Her whole family is really special to our family!

Just some other fun pictures of the event. All of the Sargent cousins were there except one and her husband and one of our cousin's husband was also not there, but everyone else was and it was so neat to get everyone together again! I wish it could have lasted longer!
More fun pics...What a great reunion it was! Family sure is a great blessing and I'm so thankful for mine...all of them!!

1 comment:

Mary Anderson said...

You and Grandma got me Fluffy one year on your birthday :)