Thursday, February 5, 2009

We Have Really Done It This Time!!!

Well, I thought we had done it with the guinea pig, but no, we had to go and get a dog! Both Nick and I like dogs, but we had both wanted a dog at separate occassions and finally we decided to go for it. After much contemplation on what kindto get from our selection on petfinder.com, we decided to go with a Basset Hound/Beagle mix. He is so cute and looks more Basset Hound to us than Beagle. Apparently they call this breed a Bagle Hound, so his name is Einstein (that was his name when we got him and we kept the name)...for those that don't know their is a Bagel chain here in KC area that is called Einstein's Bagels, which is where his name comes from. He is the sweetest dog and as you can see is well loved by our girls, especially Cora. "Sti Stein" are the first words out of her mouth in the morning. Kayley actually likes him a lot too as we were afraid she wouldn't want anything to do with him. He's part inside/outside, so we are working on housetraining, which is going sort of ok if we can master his marking his territory. Apparently it takes about 6 months for hormones to get regulated from neutering. We've also lost him twice since we've gotten him...another feature of Basset Hounds is to follow their sent until they don't even realize they are lost. Well we lost them at Michelle's. After we searched for about 2 hours, we happened to come across the car of two girls who had picked him up and had been looking for the owners for the past two hours also. We hadn't put a tag on him yet with our number b/c we still weren't sure on his name. Then he got out once from our gate, but we found him in our street in the front yard luckily. We have now boarded up all possible escape routes in our fence. He also has a tag with both our numbers on it. So far, so good on having a dog. We just have to stay on top of bathing him/cleaning up after him as my allergies sometimes act up if we're not careful. Oh...and the picture of Bubbles is up there to show that we still have her, although she doesn't get played with as much now that we have Einstein. We worry that the more we play with her around the dog, that Einstein will want to explore later when we aren't looking with her and that may not end up as a good ending if you know what I mean! But Bubbles is still a part of the Bell family and I like cleaning up after her poop better than Einstein's! :)

6 comments:

Miss L said...

Oh my gosh! Good for you!!! :) He's very sweet looking and I love his name. Best of luck with the housebreaking (how old is he?).

Miss L said...

ps. I love your Valentine's Day backdrop! :)

Jamison Family said...

Wow, I have a hard enough time looking after the kids! I have no idea how you handle animals too!

Anonymous said...

We like animals but we are not much for owning them, so we will just come visit yours!!

Mary Anderson said...

Co Co-

Love the picutres!! The girlies are growing up so fast!! Thats so exciting that you guys got a dog :) We are jealous! We wish we could have Missy here!! "No pet allow in this unit." :( We miss you guys!!

Love you
May May

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

You are a better mom than I! We got a dog . . . a puppy. He wasn't housebroken and I had 2 in diapers. We ended up selling him. All the poop in the back yard and in my house and not to mention the hair. I couldn't take it!
Have fun!
. . . and don't leave the guinea pig in the heat. Aparently they are sensitive to heat. . . trust me, I found out the hard way! LOL!