Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cashew Chicken Recipe

Ok...so I had a few inquiries about my cashew chicken and since I know there are lots of restaurants that sell this, I wanted to let you all in on a little secret recipe and share Arlaine's (Nick's Mom) recipe of Cashew Chicken, which is Springfield style, which is in my opinion the only way to have it! Hope you enjoy if you decide to try it. I would say that it is almost one of my favorite home-cooked meals too. It is definitely Nick's!

Arlaine Bell’s Famous Springfield Style Cashew Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cups of flour 1 T garlic powder
1 T salt 2 eggs
½ cup milk 5-6 chicken breasts

Directions: Thaw chicken and cut into bite sized pieces. Mix eggs and milk and put chicken in there for about 5 minutes, but no longer. Mix flour, garlic powder and salt in another bowl and put chicken in there (without the milk mixture, go ahead and pour this out as you won’t be using it anymore). Heat skillet fryer to about 350-400 and melt a stick of margarine/butter and about ½ cup of oil. Fry in a skillet until golden brown and serve on top of rice with gravy sauce listed below. Arlaine Bell.

Cashew Chicken Gravy

Ingredients:
Chicken bouillon Oyster sauce
Water cornstarch

Directions: Doing a 1-to-1-to-1 ratio of each item, put a Tablespoon of bouillon and a Tablespoon of Oyster sauce and 1 cup of water to boil on stove top. Make more cups and more Tablespoons according to how much gravy you need. Then add cornstarch mixed in water to thicken gravy and serve on top of cashew chicken with rice. Arlaine Bell

5 comments:

John n Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John n Shannon said...

How did you get exact measurements out of Mom? I've never seen her measure when she makes this. Although she forces me to when I make the gravy. Hmmm.... She must really like you. Nice to know Mom's recipe is finally published....even if it is just on the blog!

Jamison Family said...

Yea for Springfield Style Cashew Chicken!

Stephanie said...

This might be a dumb question, but you don't use actual cashews in Cashew Chicken?

Miss L said...

Yay! I've been looking for a good Cashew Chicken, Springfield style recipe for a LONG time! We'll have to give this a try!! Thank you!:)