Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Announcing...

No...I'm NOT pregnant!! But we do have TWO, yes I said two new babies in our family and I don't have to have any stretch marks from them! We decided to get a guinea pig about a week ago and thought it would be good for the girls and low maintenance for us (me) who would be taking care of them for the most part. Well, we loved her so much that we decided to get another one to add to the mix. We called all the pet stores on Saturday around us and they were out of guinea pigs except for the males and we don't want anymore than two guinea pigs...we also found out it's not mating season. But, we finally got another female and they are surprisingly getting along as you can see I found them this morning cuddling together in their cage that yes, was built by Nick. He was like a kid in the candy store making it. They have a three level house and I'm a bit jealous that their house is bigger than mine!

Their names are Toodles and Bubbles...both names picked out by Kayley. Kayley came up with Toodles (which is the darker brown haired one with shorter hair) when we were at the pet store I asked Kayley what she wanted to name her (she was the first one we got) and she said, "Um...how about Toodles?" So that was the deciding factor on that one. Toodles comes from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cartoon...it's a tool that Mickey Mouse uses to solve the puzzle for the day. When they need him he says, "Oh Toodles!" And we always love to say that when we get Toodles out. Then when we got the second one (the lighter colored, fluffier one) we asked Kayley what she wanted to name her and she said, "Mickey Mouse." Obviously to stick with the theme of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. We proceeded to tell her that was a boy's name and our guinea pig was a girl, so we suggested Minnie Mouse and she liked it, so her name was Minnie for a bit, but Nick didn't like the name, so he suggested Bubbles to Kayley and she of course liked it, so it went to a vote and I was out-voted as I preferred Minnie, but I do have to say that Toodles and Bubbles goes together better than Toodles and Minnie.

They are a lot of fun so far. Cora has only been the brave one to actually hold them on a consistent basis. Kayley held Toodles as soon as we got her and came home and she started to talk, which scared Kayley and made Kayley jump, which scared Toodles and her finger nails scratched her a bit, so now she just likes to pet them. But, Cora will actually be ok with me putting one of them in her lap. But, one of our favorite things to do is cuddle with them (which consists of me holding them on my lap) and watching tv with them. I've found Toodles favorite spot to pet and I can almost get her to start purring on contact now. We're anxious to find out what Bubbles favorite spot is and learn more about her personality.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Guinea pigs are fun. My sister and I each had one when we were girls. My guinea pig, Marble, lived 7 years!

Miss L said...

Cute!!!! I had a guinea pig when I was little and I adored him. :)

Stephanie said...

Good luck! In what room is their house, and do they keep you up at night?

Lisa R said...

You have picked the perfect pet, small, cute, and easy to clean up after! I have good memories of my pets from childhood, I am sure your girls will have lots of fun with them! BTW, you almost got me with your title!!!!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

How fun!! We bought a gerbil for a friend's birthday awhile back and while we were picking it out, fell in love with guinea pigs!! They are so cute and friendly...and hopefully will one day be a pet in our home!!
Cute stuff!

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

Just a warining and don't ask how we know, but don't leave them in the car . . . they over heat easily!